Market transparency, preference of U.S. Soy origin soybeans and knowledge sharing outline the path for growth for Pakistan’s poultry industry.
[DUBAI, UAE]: The U.S. Soybean Export Council (USSEC) and the Pakistan Poultry Association (PPA) signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) in Dubai, UAE on December 12, 2023, marking a major milestone between the two parties. This memorandum will catapult Pakistan’s poultry industry on a path towards accelerated growth.
Reflecting on the future between Pakistan and USSEC, Stan Born, Chairman of USSEC added, “Across the globe, USSEC continues to build relationships with key stakeholders in the soybean value chain. Collaborative efforts like the MoU between USSEC and the PPA will steer us in achieving our collective goal of food and nutrition security. I am positive that this MoU is only the beginning. Together we can nourish and build a more resilient, food secure Pakistan.”
Pakistan’s poultry industry has been a major consumer of U.S. Soy with soybean meal being a key ingredient in poultry feed. U.S. Soy’s high-quality and nutritional profile have played a vital role in exponentially growing Pakistan’s poultry industry. The high protein content, elevated energy levels, and ease of digestibility in U.S. soybeans have converted to higher yield and optimal performance for Pakistan’s poultry industry.
In 2023, Pakistan had severe challenges with meeting its food and nutrition security goals. Record high food inflation made poultry-historically, the cheapest source of protein inaccessible to many. Given the urgency of the situation with Pakistan ranking 102 out of 125 countries in the Global Hunger Index 1, this timely collaboration between the PPA and USSEC can help address Pakistan’s food and nutrition security goals with protein playing the pivotal role.
When asked about the MoU, PPA Chairman, Chaudhry Muhammad Ashraf responded “We recognize the positive impact that USSEC and PPA can make on Pakistan’s Poultry Industry. At PPA, we are committed to providing our customers with the best quality ingredients. With U.S. Soy’s continuous supplies, we are confident that the Poultry Industry of Pakistan will prosper. PPA looks forward to the sustained and continuous support and help of U.S. Soy to educate our Association members about the appropriate
use of soybean meal in poultry feed which will help in the continuous growth of Pakistan's Poultry Industry. PPA together with USSEC focuses on the expeditious growth of poultry grass root farmers' productivity which is the main strength of the industry and can only grow once the common man of Pakistan can have easy access to the cheapest source of protein that is, chicken meat and table eggs. USSEC and PPA together can focus on achieving the above goal of providing cheap and accessible poultry products to the common man in Pakistan.”
While U.S. Soy and Pakistan have been in partnership for more than 25 years and USSEC has done various capacity-building and knowledge sharing programs, this MoU is the first step in laying the foundation for collective growth between the two entities.
Key areas identified for joint collaboration between USSEC and PPA include:
- Transparency and Information Sharing: USSEC and PPA will work together to foster an environment of collaboration and transparency. This includes sharing key market trends and insights to work in unison and ensure success. USSEC will continue to provide knowledge-sharing about strategic partnerships focused on benefiting Pakistan’s poultry industry’s business leaders. This will empower them to provide chicken and table eggs at an affordable price to the people of Pakistan.
- Program Development to Boost Soybean Demand in Poultry Consumption: USSEC and PPA will work together to increase the demand for soybean meal in poultry feed formulation for industry expansion and to meet Pakistan’s demand for protein. This collective effort aims to increase the feed conversion rate to an optimum level.
- Increasing Utilization of U.S. Soy: PPA will educate its members on the benefits of extended protein content in U.S. Soy in poultry feed. PPA will also focus on arranging capacity-building sessions to educate its members on the benefits of soy from U.S. origin in poultry feed due to its high-quality and superior nutritional bundle compared to soy from other origins. In partnership, USSEC will train PPA members about the extrinsic and intrinsic benefits of U.S. soybeans. This initiative will create a more reliable and consistent supply chain fostering economic integration between the U.S. and Pakistan.
- Capacity Building: PPA will identify opportunities for capacity building and USSEC will help facilitate the training and knowledge-sharing process. This will allow the industry to stay competitive and sustain success.
Pakistan’s poultry industry has significantly benefited from soy originating from the U.S. and this continued commitment to show a preference for U.S. Soy demonstrates the value that U.S. Soy brings. Pakistan and the U.S. have been long-standing economic partners, and this mutually beneficial partnership, between USSEC and PPA will create a brighter future for Pakistan.
This press release was funded by U.S. Soy farmers, their checkoff and the soy value chain.
About U.S. Soybean Export Council (USSEC)
The U.S. Soybean Export Council (USSEC) focuses on differentiating, elevating preference, and attaining market access for the use of U.S. Soy for human consumption, aquaculture, and including U.S. Soy farmers, processors, commodity shippers, merchandisers, allied agribusinesses, and agricultural organizations. USSEC is funded by the U.S. soybean checkoff, USDA Foreign Agricultural Service (FAS) matching funds, and industry.
Visit www.ussec.org for the latest information on U.S. Soy solutions and news about USSEC
and U.S. Soy internationally.
About Pakistan Poultry Association (PPA)
The Pakistan Poultry Association is the only regulated representative organization of the entire Poultry Industry of Pakistan. This Association has members from all fields of Poultry sectors in Pakistan including Poultry Feed, Broiler and Layer Farmers, Soybean growers, Poultry Pharmaceutical Industry Business persons, Poultry Equipment suppliers and any other Poultry related Business persons. PPA renews its members membership every year from 1st January to 31st March and is well regulated by its Memorandum and Article of Association, which is approved by its General body members, this Association is regulated by the Trade Organization Act and Rules of 2013. The Association has a democratic structure and conducts its Executive Committee and Office Bearers Elections every two years, and new management takes oath from 1st October. The main goal of PPA is the provisioning of the cheapest source of protein in the form of chicken meat and table eggs to the common man of Pakistan. Now PPA with above said MoU looks forward to bringing prosperity to the average Poultry farmers of Pakistan.
- Global Hunger Index: Pakistan. https://www.globalhungerindex.org/pakistan.html ↩︎